From War Child to AI Creator : Why I Started Blogging in My Mid-70s

 Meta Description : Born in 1950 during the Korean War, a 75-year-old grandmother shares her inspiring journey of mastering YouTube, digital tech, and Generative AI to create art and music in 2026.

Today, I want to share my personal story of starting this blog in my mid-70s. Would you care to listen?

Most people might assume that someone my age spends her days fiddling with the TV remote or chatting aimlessly with friends. Instead, I sit in front of my computer screen every single day, engaging in a creative tug-of-war with a cutting-edge partner : Artificial Intelligence (AI).

Born amid the gunfire of the Korean War in 1950, I learned to write by tracing letters in the dirt. Today, over seventy years later in 2026, I converse with an AI that understands human speech, crafting stories and composing music together. Where should I even begin unraveling this extraordinary life journey?

    (Photo: That little baby held in my older sister’s arms is me! taken in early 1950 )

1. When the World Stopped: Opening a Small Window Through Tears

For most of my life, I knew only pencil and paper. I lived in a strictly analog world where getting a single telephone line installed required waiting in line in the neighborhood.

My entry into the digital screen came with the COVID-19 pandemic. Outings ceased entirely, and meeting people felt almost forbidden. Trapped in an empty house, my only solace was listening to music and lectures on YouTube all day long.

One day, a simple phrase from a video struck my heart:

"Broadcasting isn't reserved for special people. Anyone can create a video and share it with the world."

"WOW, I'd like to start a YouTube channel. Making videos sounds much more exciting than just writing a text blog..."

Yet reality was harsh. I had no clue how to produce a video or upload it online. With community centers and welfare facilities closed, there was nowhere to learn and no one to ask. My children scolded me, asking why an old woman would bother with such things.

Whenever I tried learning from YouTube tutorials, the technical jargon and complex software buttons sounded like a foreign language. Sitting in front of an uncooperative screen, I broke down in tears more than once.

After months of persistence, trial, and error, I launched my channel. In the spring of 2020, at age 70, I uploaded my very first, clumsily edited video. The overwhelming emotion of that moment remains unforgettable. It was merely a senior's personal diary that few noticed, but for a long time, I poured my heart into being a "Grandma YouTuber."

2. Unlocking a New World at the Senior Center

After nearly three years of isolation, the world reopened. Without hesitation, I ran straight to my local senior community center.

Surrounded by peers, I began learning the fundamentals of digital devices. Every time I discovered a new smartphone feature or a computer shortcut, my world widened. Along that learning journey, the arrival of Generative AI ushered in a completely new era.

3. "Hey AI, You’re Smart, but You Still Don’t Know the Taste of Life"

These days, I am thoroughly immersed in the joy of learning AI. Sitting alone at my desk, experimenting with different prompts, every day brings a fresh adventure.

  • When I input a poem I love, it creates a lovely melody within seconds. (I am completely tone-deaf, yet I managed to open an AI music channel!)

  • When I describe a scene in my mind, it instantly renders digital artwork and video clips that leave me in awe.

Yet, working alongside this machine every day makes me smile.

"Look at you. You’re brilliantly clever, but when it comes to emotional nuance and the real highs and lows of life, you still score a zero."

AI writes polished, eloquent prose, but it cannot replicate the deep sigh of a parent raising children, nor the bittersweet tears swallowed when looking back on lost youth. That is why I take the smooth text and melodies generated by AI and infuse them with the warmth, sweat, and lived experience of my 70 years.

A creative collaboration between a machine and a senior—isn't that wonderful?

4. Driven by Pure Curiosity for Tomorrow

People often ask me, "Why do you trouble yourself learning such difficult things at your age?"

I tell them: I was born during a war, survived seasons of severe poverty, lived through pagers and early mobile phones, and now hold conversations with AI in the palm of my hand. To witness such transformation within a single lifetime feels like a miracle.

I am genuinely curious to see what breathtaking changes the next five or ten years will bring. Because I want to witness that future with my own eyes, I walk daily, take care of my health, and strive to live a long, vibrant life.

If any young person feels overwhelmed or fearful of how fast the world is changing, I hope my story offers some encouragement. If a grandmother who survived wartime hardship can make friends with artificial intelligence every day, age is truly just a number. It is never too late to learn.

Today, I power up my monitor once again and ask my AI partner:

"Well, what fun thing shall we create today?"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Korea Travel for Seniors : 10 Things Older Travelers Should Know Before Visiting Korea

Hiking in Korea : Why More Foreign Travelers Are Discovering Korea’s Mountains

Korean Restaurant Culture : What Foreign Visitors Should Know Before Eating in Korea