[Korean Food ] a Bowl of Samgyetang (Korean Ginseng Chicken Soup)
When I was a little girl( in 1950s ), I was always weak and sickly. My mother worried constantly about my health. Back in those days, nourishing health foods were rare and precious. But when midsummer arrived, my mother would quietly catch one of the chickens we raised in our yard and simmer it for hours in a big pot.
We lived with my grandmother and a large family, so there was never enough to feed everyone a luxury meal like that. Knowing this, my mother would secretly hide me away in a quiet room so I could eat the chicken all by myself. Yet, because I was a picky eater with a small appetite, I would only nibble on a few small pieces of lean meat. Seeing how little I ate after all her effort, my mother’s heart would break in silence.
Decades have passed, and now I am a mother myself.
These days, buying fresh whole chicken is as easy as a few clicks online. Wanting to nourish my own young daughter, who has always been a bit frail just like I was, I bought two whole fresh chickens. I called her and asked her to come over so I could make her a warm pot of homemade Samgyetang.
"Mom, it’s too hot to travel, I’ll come another time!" she replied.She doesn't live far away, yet she turned down my offer because of the summer heat. Sitting in my kitchen, looking at the two raw chickens, I couldn't help but smile helplessly. She doesn't yet know the deep, restless heart of a mother who just wants to feed her child something good.
And in that quiet moment, I finally understood my own mother’s heart from all those years ago—how she must have felt as she watched her frail little girl barely eat the food she worked so hard to prepare.
Anyway, to me, Samgyetang is much more than just a seasonal health food. It is the taste of a mother’s quiet, unconditional love.
The Culinary Philosophy Behind Korean Summer Foods
In Korea, summer dining is built on a fascinating cultural philosophy known as "Iyeol-chiyeol" (fighting heat with heat) and "Iraeng-chiraeng" (cooling the body with cold dishes).
1. Samgyetang : The Ultimate "Fight Heat with Heat" Comfort Food
While many cultures crave ice-cold meals in midsummer, Koreans turn to hot, bubbling soups like Samgyetang. According to traditional Korean medicine, summer heat causes body temperature to rise on the surface, making internal organs feel cold and tired. Drinking hot, nutrient-dense ginseng chicken soup warms the stomach, restores lost stamina, and helps the body naturally sweat to regulate heat.
For those who prefer a refreshing, plant-based meal, Kongguksu is a beloved summer classic. Thick wheat noodles are served in a ice-chilled, ultra-creamy soup made from freshly boiled and ground soybeans. It is savory, nutty, rich in protein, and completely dairy-free. With just a pinch of salt (or sugar in some southern regions), this serene bowl cools you down instantly from the inside out.
3. Naengmyeon : Ice-Cold Buckwheat Noodles with a Chewy Texture
Naengmyeon, or cold buckwheat noodles, is perhaps Korea’s most famous summer dish. It comes in two main styles: Mul-Naengmyeon, where springy buckwheat noodles float in a clear, ice-cold beef broth with thinly sliced radish and cucumber, and Bibim-Naengmyeon, which features noodles tossed in a sweet and spicy red chili sauce. Served in a stainless steel bowl with crushed ice, a single sip of the tangy broth washes away the suffocating summer humidity.
From hot, loving bowls of Samgyetang to icy bowls of Kongguksu and Naengmyeon, Korean summer cuisine is not just about filling your stomach—it is a thoughtful, time-honored way to keep the body balanced and happy all summer long.
#Korean food, #Samgyetang, #Chicken Soup, #Ginseng, #Comfort Food, #Soybean Noodle Soup, #Buckwheat Noodles, #Naengmyeon, #cold noodles, #Korean summer cuisine #K-Food #South Korea



댓글
댓글 쓰기